Tuesday 5 October 2010

Harvest Festival

I was watching BBC Breakfast yesterday morning and they did a short piece on Harvest Festival. They showed the Harvest display that was at Truro Cathedral. The point of the article was that only 13% of Londoners celebrate the Harvest whereas in Cornwall 23% celebrate it. Not surprising really considering the amount of farming there is in Cornwall compared to London.


This is part of an article about Harvest Festival from Wikipedia:



A harvest festival is an annual celebration, which occurs around the time of the main harvest of a given region. Given the differences in climate and crops around the world, harvest festivals can be found at various times throughout the world. Harvests festivals typically feature feasting, both family and public, with foods that are drawn from crops that come to maturity around the time of the festival. Ample food and freedom from the necessity to work in the fields are two central features of harvest festivals: eating, merriment, contests, music and romance are common features of harvest festivals around the world.

The reason for Harvest Festival is to give thanks for the crops etc.

Anyway I thought I would go to the Cathedral to take a picture of their display to put on here. But, when I got there there was another Television Crew was filming. So I hung around a bit, I told one of the filming crew that I wanted to take a picture, he just smiled. So I hung around a bit longer, waiting in the background. Then Louise Hubble (BBC Spotlight News Presenter) asked me, politely, to move. I don't know why, I wasn't in front of the camera, maybe I was putting her off. 

So I decided to walk around the Cathedral for a bit and take a few pictures, this first picture is of a smaller Harvest display:

This is the Black Virgin:

This a memorial tablet for Sir Arthur Quiller-Couch, a writer who was born in Bodmin and lived in Fowey, Cornwall for most of his life:

And I don't know who this is, but he is too thin to be a relative of mine:

After wandering around taking these pictures I went back to the main entrance to get a picture of the large Harvest display, but Louise Hubble was still doing her bit to camera, so I decided to leave it and go back later in the day and get a picture.

I went back about one o'clock, but the display had been dismantled. So you can blame Louise Hubble for not being able to see a picture of a beautiful Harvest Festival display.

If you are desperate to see it , and I'm sure you won't be, you can watch last nights (04/10/2010) Spotlight on the BBC iPlayer.

No comments: